TWHS revises dress code

Dress code has been irritating since elementary school; between the finger-tip test and no colorful hair, it often suppresses how many students express themselves. On top of that, I’ve always felt like the dress code had a double standard for masculine and feminine frames.

It was revealed that the dress code was adjusted at the series of class meets in the past couple of days.

Fortunately, the dress code’s become generally more relaxed. The school’s handbook doesn’t explicitly disallow students to wear yoga pants without having to wear a shirt that extends past their backside anymore. Additionally, pajama pants are now allowed. I was ecstatic to hear this as people like myself learn better while comfortable.

The finger-tip rule for shorts is no longer in place, but they must reach mid-thigh. Though this rule may have its flaws (as pants fit various leg sizes differently), it is an improvement. The finger-tip test was ridiculous; some people have longer or shorter arms, making it hard to set a definite measurement of how long pants had to be.

I also appreciate how this rule was explicitly addressed to apply to either gender, something the dress code has failed to do for a long time.

Though I feel the dress code has improved overall, a couple of rules have either become stricter or remain unchanged. Students are no longer allowed to wear hoodies and hats inside the building. Though a bit disappointing, I fully understand this rule was put in place due to safety reasons.

However, there are a couple of unchanged rules I fail to understand. The handbook states that shirts that fail to fall under the waistband when extending arms overhead are not to be worn. I find this rule to be unfair as most don’t regularly extend their arms over their head, therefore, their midriff is generally not exposed.

“Hairstyles that are disruptive” is incredibly vague and fails to describe what students can and cannot do with their hair. On top of that, the unclearness of this rule may lead to it being practiced unfairly. In other words, without a distinct description of what “disruptive hair” is, it feels as if they’re able to pick-and-choose what’s appropriate. Nonetheless, having a unique hairstyle is a harmless form of self-expression.