Meet Ms. Leleux, a new math teacher at TWHS

Courtesy photo

Ms. Davis, left and Ms. Leleux (center, shark) and Ms. Harrington, right, at the Back from the Beach pep rally last week at TWHS.

Nationwide, the number of teachers has drastically dropped in the past two years and there are struggles all over to find teachers in every city. Hallye Leleux took on the challenge and walked into The Woodlands this summer to start on the challenging road of teaching high school students. Ms. Leleux (or Ms. H) grew up in Louisiana, and attended Louisiana Tech University where she graduated from just earlier this year. This is her first year teaching.

She was inspired to start teaching by her own high school math teacher. “Mr. Ducote, played the biggest role in inspiring me to be a math teacher,” Hallye Leleux said, “He loved math and brought that energy to the classroom every day.” Ms.H strives to make sure her classroom is a safe place where students can leave feeling cared for by someone. She believes that is what makes the difference in classes, and applies that in her own math class everyday.

“Once I made the decision to teach, I realized math was the only thing I enjoyed enough to teach,” said Leluex, “ I was good at other subjects, but I could never teach English or Science. Honestly I’m a total nerd when it comes to math. Numbers have always made sense to me and I love the logic behind math.”

Teaching is arguably one of the most difficult and draining careers out there. But something to admire is the impact teachers can have on students. Sometimes that impact is reciprocated. “I recently had a student tell me that I was the first math teacher since fourth grade that makes her actually want to come to class and try to learn, instead of just giving up when it gets difficult,” Leleux said, “That I was the only teacher who didn’t make her feel dumb for asking questions. That really meant a lot to me.”

“I know not everyone likes math, but I want my classroom to be a place where kids feel safe and willing to be themselves.” said Leleux.

Ms. Leleux wants to have students learn well, but also feel safe and comfortable in her class. “I think humor is the perfect way to break down walls and I want kids to laugh in my class room, whether it’s with me or at me, I don’t care,” said Leleux.

“I’m looking forward to the support I’ll get from all the experienced teachers,” Leleux said. “So far, the support has been phenomenal. I can ask anyone anything and if they don’t know, they’ll find someone who does. The math department has been so welcoming and I feel like TWHS is a place where I can really grow into the teacher I want to be.”