Student news of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The student news site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The Student News Site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

Valeria’s Top Movies of the Summer

Ariel and Prince Eric drift along during the “Kiss the Girl” scene. Courtesy of The Walt Disney Corporation

Summer 2023’s movie releases included the most anticipated movies that the general public has seen in years. Here, I will be ranking the movies released during the summer, and giving a review.

The Little Mermaid 10/10
My childhood movie is back, and it is better than ever. I am a sucker for Disney movies, and this adaptation did not disappoint. The Little Mermaid has always been one of my favorite movies, even before the live action. For starters, the animation under the sea was incredible and very realistic. One of my favorite parts was the extended screen time and Eric’s phenomenal character development. We got to see Eric and Ariel spend more time together, which ended up making more sense as the movie progressed. The casting and songs were perfect and the plot followed that of the original movie. I really liked how each of the seven mermaid sisters were different races. The only thing I would have changed is giving Max, Eric’s dog, more screen time. If you have not watched The Little Mermaid, I definitely recommend it, you will not be disappointed.

Sound of Freedom 8.5/10
This movie was a hard watch, and it was different from all of the other movies from this summer. It talks about the horrendous action of child trafficking, and follows the story of a federal agent who ventures into Colombia in order to try to save a trafficked girl. I found this movie to be incredible. The most impactful part of the movie was at the very beginning when the father’s kids were kidnapped. The guilt, fear, anger, and sadness that he must have felt was something that stuck with me throughout the entire movie. It is important to discuss things that many people do not talk about so that others are aware of the nightmare that happens. There is more slavery now than when slavery was legal, yet nobody seems to know. If you are prepared to see something so gut-wrenching, then this movie is for you.

My Fault 7.5/10
This movie gained popularity on TikTok and attracted many teenagers. My Fault was recorded in Spanish, originally titled Culpa Mía. It involves step-siblings, Noah and Nick, who end up falling in love. My favorite scene was the pool scene, where Nick and Noah kissed while Noah’s ex boyfriend and mom were trying to talk to her. The chemistry between the actors both on set and off is amazing. Additionally, the movie soundtrack is incredible, and I added many of the songs from the movie to my own playlists. My favorite song from the movie is “Nuestra Cancion” by BrunOG. This is definitely a movie made for teenagers, and if you are looking for a movie night, it can be the perfect fit.

Barbie 7/10
Barbie was the most anticipated movie of the summer, and it honestly surprised me in many ways. It was definitely not what I thought of when I heard they were making a Barbie movie. I expected it to be a fun, silly movie, but instead it covered many deep themes. The movie followed no particular plot, as it was trying to get so many things across, such as patriarchy, women’s roles, and feminism. If they would have stuck with only one main theme, I think the movie would have made more sense and left an even stronger message. Pink is Barbie’s color, so naturally the entire set had to be pink. The outfits were also great. Ken was my favorite character. I thought he was funny and I loved Ryan Reynolds and Margot Robbie’s acting. Still, this was a pretty good movie, and it really is a movie for anyone who wants to watch.