Student news of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The student news site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The Student News Site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

“Daisy Jones and the Six” a great flashback to days of glam rock

Follow the story of a fictional band – streaming now on Prime Video. Courtesy of Prime Video.

Amazon Prime’s adaptation of Taylor Jenkins Reid’s bestselling book “Daisy Jones and the Six” will take you back in time to 1970s LA with a whimsical and intoxicatingly binge-able story of a bands rise to fame and then how it all fell apart.

The show is a mock MTV oral history which gives the band an authentic feel that makes you forget you’re watching a fictional band. The story follows six musicians, Billy and Graham Dunne, Warren, Karen, Eddie, and finally Daisy Jones. It details the band’s journey from struggling musicians to selling out stadiums. As well as diving into the personal triumphs, traumas, and tragedies of the band members lives. It’s a story about so much more than just a band. It has themes of love, sacrifice, heartbreak, addiction, and finding the light.

Its top tier writing is only elevated by the music that pushed the story along and gives viewers an intimate look inside Billy and Daisy’s mind. Each song is a conversation between the two taking viewers through the intense highs and lows of their relationship.

Both the music and the story was an emotional rollercoaster that never fails to be gut wrenchingly bittersweet in the best way possible.The story of the book was inspired by the world renowned band, Fleetwood Mac. You can really see the inspiration in the show. With the band’s original soundtrack having a very Fleetwood Mac flare and the tension between Billy and Daisy being parallel to Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks’s famous Silver Springs performance.

Although the show does have a really strong script it would be nothing without the cast. Every single cast member gave it their all. Every time someone raised the bar it was met by the rest of the cast finding it impossible to say anyone’s acting stood out the most. The chemistry and heart of the entire cast has emanated off the screen. Riley Keough plays Daisy in a way that makes you root for her happy ending and Sam Clafflin’s Billy makes you sympathize with a character despite the wrongs he’s committed. Camila Morrone also absolutely killed every single scene she was in. The three of them together created such an emotional shockwave it added so much depth to the show. The characters felt real and fleshed out, with the actors making the characters simply written on paper now feel like real humans that you find yourself empathizing for and grappling with loving and hating Billy Dunne all at the same time. Watching the show felt like stepping into the book and the world of the 60s.

The directing by Nzingha Stewart helped shape the feeling of being in another world all the more. With the color scheme and scene being so captivating and magical. The costume design was some of my favorite costumes I’ve seen in any show. With a perfect 60s flare in all the characters outfits and the clear Stevie Nicks influence on Daisy Jones’s costumes I was living to see all the outfits.

Every aspect of the show was complete perfection from the production to the costumes and powerhouse cast. It proves that there’s still hope for book adaptations after all.

Streaming now on Prime Video.