Student news of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The student news site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The Student News Site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

TWHS counselor Algaze returns after time away in Klein ISD

Lisa Algaze is happy to be back in high school, after her time with middle schoolers.  Photo courtesy of Lisa Algaze.
Lisa Algaze is happy to be back in high school, after her time with middle schoolers. Photo courtesy of Lisa Algaze.

This week I got to interview and talk to the newest addition of The Woodlands High School, Mrs. Lisa Algaze.

Algaze is a counselor at TWHS for students whose last names are DEX-GOU. Although this is  Algaze’s 20th year counseling, it is not her first time at The Woodlands.

“Fun fact about me, I was a counselor here prior to right now,” Algaze said.

She started off at The Woodlands but left five years ago to open a new school in Klein, which also happened to be her first time counseling for middle school. She decided to come back as she felt she liked high school more.

Algaze has two boys of her own, a sophomore at Klein Oak who is in the IB program, and a 7th grader at Hofius intermediate where she used to be a middle school counselor.

Even though she came from a family of educators she was “one of those kids who had no idea what she wanted to do in high school” which i think can apply to most of us high schoolers.

While taking some psychology classes in college she had a professor tell her that she needed to go into counseling, she always knew she wanted to work with kids but thought at first elementary was her thing.

“I just loved working with kids and in a school,” Algaze said.

But why the sudden jump?

When I asked Algaze why she wanted to work back in high school the simple answer was drama.

“Junior high is so much drama,” Algaze said.

Algaze stated she was missing her why with the middle schoolers, but when it came to high school she had her why.

“You help kids through a lot of things and on top of that you get to stay in contact,” said Algaze.

Mrs. Algaze had the opportunity to stay in Klein and move up to high school and when asked why she didn’t the answer “Woodlands has always been home.”

At the end of our interview Mrs. Algaze left us with a piece of advice, that being “stay true to yourself” and it’s okay not to know. Keep trying stuff until you find what you like and what fits you. I think it’s safe to say we are so glad to have Mrs.Algaze back!