Student news of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The student news site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The Student News Site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

Black Rock Coffee celebrates first anniversary in The Woodlands

The eccentric Black Rock Coffee Bar on College Park Drive is celebrating its one-year opening anniversary. As this date approaches, I decided it would be an excellent moment to visit for the first time.

My first impression of the store was that it was very different from any other coffee shop I’d ever been in. They had an entire wall painted with bold colors and paint smatters, while the lighting was provided by some strange light fixtures hanging from the ceiling. Energy symbols are everywhere, and they traded traditional soft coffeehouse music for chill pop songs.

The inside of Black Rock Coffee is vibrant and cheerful. (Sofia De Aguirre)

It was relatively empty for a Thursday afternoon, and only one employee was working the Drive-Thru and the store. I wasn’t really in the mood for coffee, but luckily, the store has a wide range of drink options and a few food options. Their coffee menu is far from ordinary, with items such as the “MEXICAN MOCHA” (Hints of Vanilla, Almond, and Cinnamon) and the “JACKHAMMER” (Vanilla Mocha with an Extra Double Shot). Their coffeeless options included Italian soda, matcha, and shaken iced teas. They also have options called “chillers,” which are essentially like a frappuccino. Some options were similar to Starbucks’, but many others stood out, such as Caramel Truffle, Chai Chiller, and Matcha Chiller. I was most interested in the “fuel” energy drinks, which have various syrup options. These options can also be sugar-free, organic, and mixed in with a smoothie. I had the Blue Rasberry fuel drink, and while it was too syrupy, a little bit of water made it taste okay. We went back a few days later and tried their coffee options- I had the Mexican Mocha (Small) for $6.67 with tax and Maria had a (Medium) Caramel Blondie and a Blueberry Muffin for $13.31 total.

The prices were a bit high, in my opinion, but as Starbucks’ prices skyrocketed, the difference didn’t feel that drastic. A medium specialty coffee costs $5.75, while the classics cost around $3-5. Tea and soda cost around $4, while their “fuel” drinks cost $5.55.

Overall, they have an incredibly well-rounded menu, with options for everyone. Their atmosphere felt like a charge towards productivity, and instead of keeping a mellow mood like most coffee shops, Black Rock strives towards elevating your energy levels to help you get your work done. The customer service was excellent, and while it was a bit overwhelming at first, the work environment allowed me to get through a good amount of homework. The drink was average for an energy soda, but I’d like to go back and try some coffee options. If you prefer the cozy and casual atmosphere of regular coffee shops, I wouldn’t recommend Black Rock, but if you’re willing to try something different, you should make the drive.

3335 College Park Dr., Suite 100A The Woodlands, TX 77384