Student news of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The student news site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The Student News Site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

Ryan leads Sports Medicine

Neal Mitchell and Katie Ryan, right, at Woodforest Stadium. Photo by Bella Hart.

Many don’t look close enough to see the team behind the team. Katy Ryan is head of the athletic sports medicine department at The Woodlands High School.  She deals with physical fitness and the treatment or prevention of sport related injuries.

Ryan was first interested in the job because of something in her past.  She was passionate about figure skating until her journey sadly came to an end after suffering an injury.  After having to go to rehabilitation, she was instantly intrigued by the sports medicine field.

She started her education at Baylor University where she was a student trainer for football, and went on to get her master’s degree at Iowa State.  Before coming to The Woodlands she worked at Sam Houston College as the only men’s basketball team trainer. Her experience working for the team was eye opening.

She was there for these students like no other. She would wake them up and take them to their doctors appointments and surgery every day. With her degree, she was able to handle pre op and post op care, meaning she was able to build a connection with the players and become an asset in their athletic career.  While basketball was her first love, she quickly became a football fan.

“I loved working at Baylor and basketball is a sport I enjoy watching,” Ryan said.  “I was surprised coming to The Woodlands because I wasn’t expecting such a strong sense of family and community with the Highlander football team.”

What she feels that many underestimate about her current position, is how much responsibility and task comes with her job. When a serious injury occurs, while waiting for an ambulance, Katy is the one by the player’s side. She has formed a bond with the Highlander family and loves each kid like her own. Though she may not always get the credit she deserves, Katy Ryan is one of the hardest working people on the field.