Student news of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The student news site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The Student News Site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

Tech Heads support Sound of Music

Amalie Lopez, Mariana Morales, Natalie Micklethwaithe, Leonardo Diaz de Leon, Mikel Side-Anene, Dylan Shumate, and Ryan Duchmasclo backstage at the TWHS theatre. Photo courtesy of Ana Valledor.

Every year, theater teacher Mr. Peters collaborates with the choir directors to put on the mainstage school musical. Starting in the 2012-2013 school year with Oklahoma!, the musical this year is the classic Sound of Music. And, although the cast is full of talent, the people who work behind the curtain are just as hardworking. “With tech, there’s always something to help out with,” says senior Emily Cordier, who is both an actor and the lead of the hair department for Sound of Music. “I always know what I’m doing is important.”
From fixing actors’ hair and making character wigs to designing and building set pieces, our backstage department consists of many jobs and opportunities. But how many tech jobs are there? And what does being a “tech head,” or the leader of different departments, entail?

Have you ever been a tech head before?
There are some tech heads who have done multiple shows, such as props co-head, Natalie Micklethwaite, who has been props head for six shows since freshman year. However, there are a couple who are new to the position, such as junior Lilly Kelland of the makeup crew and junior Trevor Reese of set crew.

What are your duties as a tech head?
There are many creative and technical aspects that come with managing each crew and producing the show. For example, junior Trevor Resse, who is one of the co-heads for set crew, has to help design and build the set with his fellow crew members and co-heads. Stage manager Alyssa Harris says, “it’s my job to know the show better than the director” and make sure that things run smoothly.

What made you interested in joining the tech department?
There could be a wide range of reasons to join our theater department; but for lights co-head Sarah Fry, the primary reason was because it was “something I didn’t know a lot about, and I wanted to learn.” Freshman Sarah-Jean Williams found her passion for stage managing during her time with the McCullough Junior High’s theater department.

Why did you decide you wanted to do Sound of Music?
“If I got in, I got in,” said co-costume head Jaden Blackwell-Frank, who was excited about the challenge and for the opportunity to work with his co-head, Rebecca Lively. Junior Natalie Micklethwaithe is excited to be working with the theater department and helping out backstage during each show.

What are you most excited about working on?
Many of the department heads were excited to be working with their friends and for the creative aspects of their jobs. Both stage manager Alyssa Harris and assistant stage manager Sarah-Jean Williams were excited to work with their friends and the people working with them on the show. Yet, set co-head Trevor Reese is looking forward to working on finalizing the furniture and other set pieces, while costume co-head Jaden Blackwell-Frank is excited to be working on the character’s dresses, particularly Leisel VonTrapp’s.

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Caledonian
$670
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of The Woodlands High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.