Student news of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The student news site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The Student News Site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

Mariachi band advances to state meet

Laura Landsbaum
The students warmed up in an adjacent cafeteria prior to their performance at Robstown.

The Woodlands High School Mariachi band made their debut at regional UIL, hitting the high notes of musical excellence! The varsity Verde y Rojo Mariachi team represented the Woodlands High School at their first varsity competition, the UIL Coastal Bend Mariachi Competition.  Last year, the group performed in the JV category.  High school Mariachi bands came from all over southern Texas to showcase their musical talent and cultural pride. Mariachi Verde y Rojo performed three songs during this competition: “Alejandra”, “La Llorona”, and “ El Relámpago.” These are very beautiful folk tale songs that are widely known throughout the Hispanic community as a whole, and the band did such a good job bringing out the song’s emotions.

Two of the four trumpets that are part of Rojo y Verde. (Laura Landsbaum)

Mariachi is an essential part of Spanish culture that allows one to “let it all out” while performing.  According to performer Vanessa Tetz, “It’s a mix of nervousness and excitement. you don’t see anything it all just blurs together.”  Violinist Delia Garcia agrees,  adding “It was exciting. All the nerves washed away once I stepped on stage.”

The judges ranked each team depending on the scores they received for each category, so during the competition our mariachi team went to infinity and beyond and scored a perfect #1 in each category, and earned the right to enter the Mariachi UIL State Competition on Feb. 24.