Student news of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The student news site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The Student News Site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

Robotics earns spot at State Meet at Dallas meet

Lauren Hamel: Team 9418 (the Pastabots) finished a really tough meet in Dallas ranked 8 out of 43 teams. They were selected by the 4th seed alliance and made it all the way to the quarter finals. They were awarded the Rookie Inspiration award for being an outstanding first-year FRC team. Based on their performance this season, they are currently ranked in the top 20 in the state of Texas and will be competing at the State Championship in two weeks in Houston!
The Woodland High School robotics team known as the Pastabots have officially retired for their second qualifying competition. The team left last Thursday for a 3 hour drive to Dallas for their qualifying match. After spending two full days playing the other teams they came out to be ranked 10th in the entire state of Texas, with a one way ticket to the state competition.
The competition itself is split into two parts over two days, with the team staying in a hotel for the nights in between. The first were the qualifying matches with 82 in total, however due to many penalties and time constraints only 62 matches happened. To the dismay of the roboticsteam the bus to take them back to the hotel had a dead car battery meaning they had to wait for a repairman to fix it however when he arrived he was unable to fix the bus leading to the students to be taken back to the hotel in cars. One student described the situation as “bum”.
The next day the rest of the qualifying matches were completed leaving only the final competition left. Due to their success in the qualifying matches they were put in the final competitions. Our success ran out when going against Robotics team 148. They continued on despite this loss in the losers bracket with the scouting team Yelling and screaming their support for the Pastabots the leading voice of these cheers said “It’s about your team spirit if you are loud enough others will follow, but at this point it hurts to yell and my voice will definitely later pay the price for this.” After the competition many members of the scout team “sounded like Batman”.
With the support of the scout team and the our team pushed on securing our spot in the state competition and rank 10 in the state.
On the bus ride back the lead coach Ms. Hammel (who teaches the SRD class and physics) told the team the good news “the bus was filled with excitement and cheers”. Many however foundthemselves unable to cheer due to voice loss. With the completion of this robotics competitionThe Pastabots team has their eyes set on state and they are planning to bring back another victory for The Woodland High School.