Student news of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The student news site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The Student News Site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The Man Behind the Kilt

Timmy Prather leads the student section at Woodforest Stadium last season. Courtesy of Timmy Prather.

Being a school mascot is not an easy task, so who’s taking charge? The answer to that at The Woodlands High School is senior Timothy “Timmy” Prather. Timmy has been a school mascot since 8th grade when his friends encouraged him to pursue this position. Outside of being a mascot, he enjoys playing and listening to music.

Timmy attends many sporting events – including volleyball and basketball. Courtesy of Timmy Prather

He loves the color blue and his favorite food is his step mom’s chicken pot pie. He is also a part of the Student Council, and enjoys helping lead our school community. Although he says being a mascot along with the rest of his responsibilities gets difficult, he loves what he does. So what’s there to know about Timmy?

Why did you want to be a mascot?
“New mascots were announced when I was in 8th grade, I was interested in joining, and all my friends wanted me to do it.”

Did you have any type of inspiration to be a mascot?
“I got inspiration from previous mascots like Grayson Brock, and Max Van Otterdyk.”

What are cool things that happened because you’ve been a mascot?
“Cheer camp! Because me and Grant Bottorff were the only guys allowed to be there. It got a little chaotic but overall I can say it was a lot of fun!”

Grant (left) and Timmy (right)were co-mascots last year – and supported volleyball during matches last year with volleyball’s mascot. Courtesy of Timmy Prather

How do you manage your time being so involved in school?
“Early release has been a big help this year since I actually don’t manage my time that well. I also try to prioritize closer due dates and important assignments.”

What are your thoughts on the upcoming football season?
“I’m honestly pretty excited because I won’t have to share the drum with anyone this year! I also want to see how the games play out.”

Do you want to continue doing this in college?
“Not really. The main reason I decided to mascot was because I didn’t get to wear a mask and I really got to interact with the students. In college, I would have to wear a mask and it’s just not my thing.”

What message do you want to give aspiring mascots?
Just do it! If you have a hunch for it, just do it! Go with any crazy idea you have!”