Student news of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The student news site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The Student News Site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

Students have success at Western art show

Julia Fergusons Sunday Stroll
Julia Ferguson’s “Sunday Stroll”

Last Saturday, four Woodlands High School students, freshman Ashley Inman, senior Sam Bisbee, sophomore Leah Swart, and senior Julia Ferguson, found out that they will have their Western Art pieces featured at the upcoming rodeo. The artists who are featured at the rodeo will have their pieces auctioned off to community members or visitors. Not every piece sells, but the top pieces in the state can sometimes sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars. The rodeo will take place in March, so make sure to go support these talented artists.

The students who advanced each spent a significant amount of time on their pieces, especially Sam Bisbee who spent eight hours on his painting on a corkboard, “Country Camaraderie,” which shows him with his friend, Lauren.
“[The painting] is inspired by my friendship,” Sam said.

Julia Ferguson’s colored pencil drawing, “Sunday Stroll” of her friend, Thalia, on a horse, was inspired by her sense of inner peace while she rode.
“You could tell she really enjoyed [horseback riding] and I wanted to capture the moment,” Julia stated.

In other art news, two Woodlands High School sophomores, Andrea Navarro Serrano and Ashley Castille, advanced in quick draw, which is another art competition where students have a limited amount of time to draw a realistic image. The competition will take place on Wednesday, January 24th at NRG Stadium. These students auditioned for this opportunity by drawing a live model, either a portrait or full body drawing.