Student news of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The student news site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The Student News Site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

Swift’s Speak Now (Taylor’s version) tracks ranked

Speak Now is the 3rd of 6 planned re-recordings of Taylor Swifts albums following a dispute with her former record label.  Courtesy  of Republic Records.
Speak Now is the 3rd of 6 planned re-recordings of Taylor Swift’s albums following a dispute with her former record label. Courtesy of Republic Records.

On July 7, 2023, Taylor Swift launched her third re-release, Speak Now (Taylor’s Version). Each re-release has included vault tracks created during the album, but never actually revealed. Here is my ranking of the six never heard before Speak Now (Taylor’s Version) vault tracks and the reasons why I ranked them.

“Foolish One (Taylor’s Version)”
This track is for the people filled with apprehension about a relationship, yet they still put on their rose colored glasses until they get hurt again because they have fallen that deep for a person who only tolerates them. The song depicts the mind of a naive girl in a type of relationship with someone who does not cherish or sometimes even acknowledge the other participant. Even though Swift is known for her imaginative storytelling from Folklore and Evermore, I think this song was a nice change of pace, yet it kept that same creative spirit from the previous albums. Fans around the world have deemed this as one of the most relatable songs from Swift. This song is highly ranked because I can understand the emotions behind the lyrics. I think it’s a new take, especially from Taylor Swift, that you can admit you’re being a little foolish without all the negative connotations associated.

“I Can See You (Taylor’s Version)”
Despite the original tone of the album, this song is very upbeat and daring with a rock alternative sound. It shows a more sensual side of Swift’s music, similar to her Reputation hit, “Dress”. The vivid picture creates the story of an all encompassing and intense crush that fills her mind every time she sees this unnamed person. The song is a fun change of sound and writing style compared to the original album.

“Castles Crumbling (feat. Haley Williams) (Taylor’s Version)”
The message of the song points out the accompanying insecurities associated with the success of an artist. The waning lows and misrepresented reassurance of fame is apparent when you hear the ballad of confidence turning into doubt from two admired female artists of the generation. I think it’s an interesting display of emotions telling a vulnerable and expressive story that comes from such well-favored people that you wouldn’t know felt this way if they did not write about it. This song reminded me of “The Lucky One” off Red, because it talks about how not everything is bright and shiny up close, but really the industry can convince you to be isolated even while surrounded by people you call supporters.

“Electric Touch (feat. Fall Out Boy) (Taylor’s Version)”
This song is another change in Swift’s production, recorded with Fall Out Boy, who is known for their rock discography. “Electric Touch” portrays the feeling of anxiety a new relationship can bring you when all of your past ones have failed. The uncertainty to start a new relationship when theirs have only ended with regret makes it that much harder to take a risk, but they are willing to do so for love. Despite Speak Now being labeled as a country album, the rock influence and storytelling fits the other songs.

“When Emma Falls in Love (Taylor’s Version)”
Rumored to be about Swift’s longtime friend Emma Stone, “When Emma Falls in Love” talks about a girl named Emma who anyone would be lucky to love. The song is very catchy, and it’s welcoming to hear a song about a girl not finding love, supporting another who found and deserves it. It’s also refreshing to hear someone who thinks they’ll never find what Emma has, seeing that love happen, and undeniably knowing there’s still a possibility they could experience the same.

“Timeless (Taylor’s Version)”
Comparing it to the other 5 tracks, this is my least favorite. Only because the familiarity of the song makes me forget it was not on the original album. “Timeless” tells a story about finding and loving someone throughout time. It is also rumored to be about Taylor Swift’s grandparents, Marjorie Finely and Archie Dean Swift. I think it’s a suitable ending to an album about falling in love young and never quite making anything stick, yet still not losing hope that someday you can find love with the right person.