Student news of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The student news site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

The Student News Site of The Woodlands High School

The Caledonian

Girls’ Powerlifting takes 3 in Region, advances 4 to State

Coach Smith, Bethany Prior 11, Kae’lyn Miller 11, Delaney Dallas 10, Holly Mullins 11, Coach Zuñiga at Alvin High School for the D1 6A Region 4 powerlifting meet. (Photo courtesy of April Mullins)

Four girls from TWHS will advance to the state powerlifting meet March 16 in Frisco. The regional meet was at Alvin High School on Feb. 24.  Juniors Bethany Prior, Kae’lyn Miller, Holly Mullins along with sophomore Delainey Dallavis advanced.   Prior won 1st place for the 114 weight class with a 720 lb total, and took home the “Best Bench” award for her 180 lb bench press.  Miller won 1st place with a 750 lb total in the 123 weight class. Dallavis won 2nd place with a 670 lb total in the 123 weight class.

“I’m excited to be the first sophomore to represent at state, and I get to go with my favorite people,” Dallavis said. 

Mullins won 3rd place with an 835 lb total in the 165 weight class. All four became the first girls in TWHS history to qualify for the Texas High School Women’s Powerlifting Association (THSWPA) State meet. The team as a whole won 3rd place at the meet.

“Being a girl in powerlifting can be very challenging, but the guys on the team are very supportive and frequently help out at meets they aren’t required to be at,” Dallavis said.