Cotton Fields commits to SMU

Fields swims the butterfly in a meet against Stratford at Woodforest natatorium in 2018.

Shannon Hulet

Cotton Fields, a senior at The Woodlands High School, has verbally committed to Southern Methodist University for swimming.

Fields has been swimming for over 14 years and has been a member of The Woodlands’ swim team since he was a freshman. During his sophomore year, he won districts in the 200 IM. He won districts his junior year and placed third overall at regionals his sophomore year. His biggest accomplishment to date is when he placed 6th overall in the UIL Texas 6A State Championship.

Fields knew that SMU was the place for him. His sister, Karsten Fields, is already a swimmer at SMU. She’s expected to graduate in 2023.

“Once I took a visit, it got me seriously interested,” Fields said. “The men’s coaching staff is incredibly talented, and I felt very comfortable with them which made me feel that I could be successful there. And their pool is beautiful!”

Fields knows that this opportunity would not have been possible if it wasn’t for his family.

“My family has helped me become the swimmer I am today,” Fields said. “My parents especially have been incredibly supportive of me and every decision I make which has helped me grow as an athlete. My friends and teammates have also pushed me to be my best self and swimmer. Being constantly challenged and having to bring my A-game everyday have undoubtedly helped me.”

Currently ranked 10th in the state of Texas, Fields is ready to not only start preparing for his future, but also to have a successful senior year of swimming as well. Going forward, Fields plans to stay focused in college and is ready to represent SMU men’s swimming in the best way he possibly can.

“Though it is unlikely I will swim after college, I do have one goal in mind while I am there,” Fields said. “I’m going to try and be the best swimmer I can. And my biggest goal is to try to work towards qualifying for the Olympic Trials in 2021.”