TWHS an “A” in TEA new rating

In the most recent School Accountability Rankings by the Texas Education Agency (TEA), The Woodlands High School received an overall score of 92 for the 2018-19 school year   Every year, the TEA releases an overall letter grade for each school district in the state, and individual schools in that district (K-12). Grades are calculated via 3 different categories: Student Achievement, School Progress, and Closing the Gap.  The Woodlands received an A in Student Achievement, and a B in School Progress and Closing the Gap. 

“The State of Texas has away of holding schools accountable for the future,” Principal Dr. Ted Landry said. “We had all A’s and B’s across the subcategories with an overall score of A. They basically look at passing grades and improvements, they compare racial and disadvantaged groups to the rest of the student population.”

The Woodlands received an overall score of 83 for School Progress. Separated into two different subcategories, Academic Growth and Relative Performance, School Progress measures the number of students who made a year’s worth of academic progress in reading and math, and compares the level of student achievement in schools with similar levels of student poverty. the level of Student Achievement to schools with similar levels of student poverty.

“We need to make sure students, even if not passing, are showing growth. We are working with all our students to achieve growth,” Landry said.  This will allow TWHS to improve in their School Progress grade. 

The second of the three categories the TEA grades is called Closing the Gap, and it is calculated into five different subcategories: race/ethnicity, special education, continuously enrolled and mobile, English language learners and economically disadvantaged. Every year, schools make goals for their students that fit into these subcategories, and then their overall score is calculated at the end of the year determining if they indeed met these goals. The Woodlands met their goals for every category except Economically Disadvantaged and Students Receiving Special Education Services. 

“We did well this past year helping them, but our goal wasn’t quite met,” we need to help them even more,” Landry said when asked about how the school can help those who are economically disadvantaged. “We need to give more resources to them and provide extra one-on-one help. We need to help them even more.”

“Obviously we want to show well, we want to continue being successful,” Landry responded, regarding the last of the three categories the TEA grades. This category is Student Achievement,  and it measures STAAR results and college, career, and/or military readiness. The Woodlands received an outstanding score of 95 for this category. 

“We are doing very well in STAAR and SAT/ACT. We continue to be in the top 1,000/1,200 not only in Texas, but the nation.” 

After averaging the scores of the three categories, the TEA gave The Woodlands an overall score of 92 for the 2018-19 school year. This score tied them with College Park as the only two high schools in Conroe ISD with such a high score and one of the highest rated K-12 schools overall. 

“We have great teachers and students. Our students are willing to learn. As long as we continue this and get communal and parental support, we will hopefully be at the top for years to come,” Landry responded when asked about what this successful achievement means to The Woodlands High School as a whole. 

The 2018-19 school year was the first year of Dr. Landry’s term as Principal of The Woodlands High School. At the end of the interview, he talked about his experience in his first year and what these scores mean to him on a personal level. 

“Obviously it’s nice to be the principal of such a great high school. These is no ego involved. I’m an educator at heart, and I love it. I get fulfillment by seeing you guys succeed. Accolades are nice, but I only really care about how everyone is doing.” 

As the interview concluded, Landry voiced a statement he wants everyone to hear, “All in all, I’m not The Woodlands High School, I just happen to be in the head position. The Woodlands High School is every student and staff member. We are all The Woodlands High School, and will be for years to come.”